Tenerife is one of the islands making up the Canaries, located in the Atlantic off the south coast of Morocco. A popular holiday destination for people across Europe it has plenty to offer for all ages. Puerto de la Cruz is the second largest city on the island, situated on the north coast, and is known for its friendly natives and beaches, as well as its climate. It is the more traditional town on the island, with an old colonial centre with winding narrow streets and opens squares, where you can soak up the atmosphere in one of the hundreds of cafes and restaurants spilling onto the streets, serving fresh seafood and local gastronomy. The beautiful botanical gardens are the perfect place to relax in peace, or head to the popular black sanded beaches. Undoubtedly the jewel of Puerto de la Cruz is the impressively designed Lago Martianez complex, where you can lounge by the man made pools which lie along the coast of the town. If you head out of the city, there is plenty to keep visitors entertained, and towards the south of the island, you will notice it becomes drier and hotter, where people flock to the beaches.
Situated to the north of Tenerife, Puerto de la Cruz is one of the island's major tourist centres. A traditional resting place, the city offers a wide range of accommodation, including numerous hotels and several residential complexes. Many of the city's main attractions, such as the old harbour and the promenade can be found in the coastal area, along with the Lago Martiánez complex of swimming pools designed by the Canary Islands architect César Manrique.
- Population: 38,500 (Tenerife: 220,000).
- Location: Island in the Atlantic Ocean.
- There are two international airports in Tenerife.
- Tenerife is the largest island of the Canary archipelago.
- Tenerife called “the island of eternal spring”, the average temperature here is 27 degrees Celsius.
- A mountain chain runs through its centre. In the heart of this chain, there is a gigantic crater: Teide (the highest peak in Spain). It offers one of the most spectacular landscapes of the world.